Monday, December 13, 2010

10 Healthy Holiday Gift Ideas

Other than the gift of more time to spend with my family, friends, and of course, more time to blog and talk to you... there are a few other things that I have on my wish list.  I don't normally make a wish list because, let's face it, there is nothing that I really "need."  However, there are always things that I would enjoy having.  So this year, I decided to make a wish list.  It just makes life much easier for those wanting to give gifts to you.  I have also been thinking of some things that I want to get for others, and this year I'm taking the healthy route on my gifts.  I'm giving something with the idea of health in mind in one way or another.

My Wish List

1.  Yoga Membership


Our yoga mats on the turf of the Cowboys Football Stadium. 

Yoga is something that will always be a part of my life.  I love going to classes and being able to feed off of the energy of other yogis in the room.  However, it does cost money, so why not put that on my wish list!

For those of you living in Fort Worth, here is a quick guide on some great yoga studios in the area. 

Indigo Yoga offers heated and non-heated Baptiste power yoga.  It is running a great special right now... $69 a month for UNLIMITED classes.  Regularly it's $17 a class, so you pay it off in 4 classes.  I know that I will definitely be going to yoga more than 4 times a month.  

Karmany Yoga just opened, and I have already been hearing only amazing things about this studio.  It offers two evening classes, which I love!  I haven't been yet, but I can't wait to go! I love the principle behind the studio: "Karmany is founded on the principle that yoga should be available to anyone, regardless of financial means or skill level...Karmany is a donation-based studio, which means there are no set fees for our regular classes. "

Urban Yoga offers a variety of classes for the adventurous yogi.  They offer everything from the signature vinyasa flow class to forrest yoga, nia, and barre classes.  I love the variety! 

2.  CrossFit Gym Membership/Class Packages 

You have all heard me talk about CrossFit (see this post if you haven't).  It is the complete opposite of yoga, which makes it the perfect compliment to yoga.  With CrossFit, I push myself beyond limits that I never knew existed. Like yoga, I also love the camaraderie from going to a CrossFit gym.  Everyone is pushing themselves with you and motivating you, and it only makes me push myself even more.  

Before you start attending regular classes at a CrossFit gym, you must go through at least 3 foundation classes where you learn the CrossFit exercises and proper form.  Sam and I just finished our foundation classes at Brandt CrossFit and participated in our first real CrossFit workout of the day (WOD)... check out the partner workout!  

The guy being carried in the yellow lululemon shorts... that's Sam.  
Sam carried his partner on the way back.


All I can say is...I love it, and I'm already addicted!  CrossFit has its own language so simply Google anything you don't recognize or go to the CrossFit main website for exercise demos. 

3.  Books




4.  Magazine Subscriptions


 I love all the ideas on how to live green and clean.

I love the combination of fitness, health, and fashion.

Amazing recipes and great updates on exciting places/things/events in the vegetarian world.

Or any other magazine having to do with health, fitness, or fashion.

5.  lululemon Apparel or Gift Cards

I don't just workout in lululemon apparel, I practically live in it... unless I'm in my business attire for work of course.  If I could wear their workout clothes everyday, then I would.  What I love about lululemon workout apparel is that it's extremely comfortable and fashionable!  And if you order online, shipping is always free! If you purchase items in the store, you get their awesome superhero bag... so you don't even have to wrap the present! I also take my lunch to work in the smaller version of these bags and grocery shop with the bigger bags.

  
Their water bottles and headbands make for great stocking stuffers!  I love my water bottle...

Yes, that is me... wearing 100% lululemon (except for the shoes) holding a lululemon 
"Sweat Once a Day" water bottle while standing in front of Tony Romo's locker at the Cowboy's Stadium. 
Yoga @ the Cowboys Stadium.   Check out my facebook for more pics of this event. 


Here is another lovely pic from that fun event.  The helmet had zero padding and just wobbled on my head.  
I look like a little kid, but that's okay... it's fun to be a kid again sometimes! Sam is also sporting
 lululemon's yellow shorts again.  He says they are much more comfortable than his other athletic shorts.  
Oh yes, and he is also carrying my lululemon bag that I love!

 


6.  Fitness DVDs

I'm going to need some quick, but effective backup workouts for the auditor's busy season, which will be here before I know it.  I won't be off work in time to make it to yoga or CrossFit classes during the week, so a yoga/fitness DVD will be perfect in the morning before work.



7.  Veggie Brothers Food Delivery

Veggie Brothers is a food delivery service that delivers fresh, organic vegan cuisine straight to your door frozen and ready to heat up.  The food is made with very high quality ingredients.  I mentioned that I am about to head into the auditor's busy season starting in January, and it is going to be difficult for me to find the time to cook healthy meals to take to work.  I've heard about this food delivery service, so I thought it might be a good way to get healthy food without having to take the time to cook it.  I haven't tried it before, but I'm really curious!


8.  Beauty Products

Lavera Organic Sunless Tanner Lotion for Face & Body ~ This lotion is vegan too.  It doesn't leave a funny smell, or streaks, or an unnatural orange tint.  It is so easy to apply.  It gives the perfect glow to cure that winter pastiness.  I use both the face and body lotion 3 times a week.  You can find it at most Target stores in the make-up section near the Burt's Bees products. 

Eminence Organics Skin Care Products ~ Stone Crop Gel WashEight Greens Youth Serum, Stone Crop Whip Moisturizer, Pear & Poppyseed Microderm Polisher 


9.  For my family to participate in an athletic event with me (yoga, 5K, CrossFit, anything active!).

Last, but not least.  This isn't your normal gift, but this is something that I would ask for that isn't solely for my benefit, but also for the benefit of the person giving the gift. I started this post mentioning that I would like more time to spend with my family and friends so why not spend that time doing something active!

 My Mom's FIRST yoga class was at the Cowboys Stadium Event. 
What a great intro to yoga.  Check out her cute lululemon gear too!


10.  Other goodies I would like to give...

I wouldn't just enjoy receiving these gift ideas mentioned above, but I would also LOVE to give them.  I love giving presents and helping people live healthier, so why not just do that all at once! Here are some other things I would love to give... 

If I could give this book to all of my friends and family, then I would.  This book is filled with simple one liners providing an easy guide to eating healthy.  Check out Michael Pollan's discussion of his book with Oprah. 

Blondies in a Jar.  A great gift idea from Oh She Glows.  I would like to make these jars filled with all the ingredients you need to make a healthier version of blondies to show that eating healthy doesn't have to be boring, and it can taste just as good (if not better) than the other, less healthy options.



Well, that's my list!  I hope I got this post up in time and that you haven't finished all of your holiday shopping yet.  Tis the season... give the gift of health! It's something that will never be outdated, need an upgrade, or go out of style.  

With Love, Health, & Happiness,
Cami

Question of the Day:  What would you like to give/receive this year??




6 comments:

Ange said...

I have the same bottle & love it!! You and your mom are just gorgeous!!
Great wish list :)

JenATX said...

HA! that pic of you in the helmet cracks me up haha
i would love the tara stiles yoga DVD for christmas. & winter clothing! everytime winter time rolls around I am so surprised that I have nothing to wear, & then I remember I live in texas and never go shopping for winter clothes.
My family doesnt do Christmas gifts anymore (we do a secret santa w/ the whole family but havent been assigned Santas yet) so I only get to shop for Cody. No clue what to get that guy... but I really want to bake something for his family when I go to visit. I'm also thinking something from OSG.. maybe her power truffles?

Cami said...

Thanks Ange! Gotta love that water bottle, it's the perfect daily reminder! I take it to work and and every time someone walks by they always try to read what it says... so in a way, I'm reminding other people too!

Jen ~ The Tara Stiles yoga DVD is a great idea!! I love her, and totally forgot to put that on my list, but it definitely should go along with the other DVDs. Let me know if you get one of her DVDs and if you like it. The power truffles are a great idea to take to his family, or maybe the Vegan Nanaimo bars she just blogged about. Let me know what you decide to make! Miss ya by the way :)

Anonymous said...

There are some workout DVDs I would love as well. I would love the Jackie Warner Power Body Circuit workout. I've done it before and it's awesome.

Jessica said...

So, pretty much everything on your wish list rocks, and would certainly be on my own wish list :)&& You and your mom are b e a utiful! She looks so young! haha anyway, I just stumbled on your blog, so I have some catching up to do. So far, I'm lovin' your posts!

Cami said...

J. Lynn... I'm so sorry I'm just getting to your comment!! That is SO unlike me! I'm trying to figure out a better way I can be updated on when I receive comments on the blog. Thank you so much for all your kind words!! I hope you were able to catch up on some blog posts... it's been a little while since I did a blog post, but all of that is about to change!!! I have so many new blog post ideas, so now I just have to decide where to begin. Thanks again J. Lynn :)

Post a Comment