Friday, May 7, 2010

Conquering Caffeine

I just wanted to give a shout out to my hubby, Sam, who is finishing up with his LAST FINAL of his first year of law school today, and he has done it all WITHOUT CAFFEINE!!  If any of you know about law school as a "One L,"it is not easy at all... tons of reading, late nights, and the pressure of not knowing when you are going to get called on in class by those intimidating law professors.

Last semester around this time, Sam was basically fixed on caffeine (coffee mainly), and he would get headaches when it started to wear off.  On February 1st, when we started the vegan diet, he decided to try to give up caffeine (including sodas, coffee, etc.).  He started by switching to hot tea because he said that sometimes it was just about having that hot beverage to drink during his hour long drive to law school in the morning.  After making the switch to hot tea, he started going to decaf tea (rooibos and white tea).  He experienced headaches at first because his body just was not used to the long hours without caffeine.  When that happened, he would have a little bit of caffeine (maybe half a cup of coffee) to relieve his headache, but without affecting his progress to be caffeine-free.

Now, he relies on water as his fuel and carries a BPA free water bottle everyday.  I also bought these water bottles for myself and for my parents on their birthday, and I am happy to say that they now take it with them everyday to work!  Sam occasionally treats himself with Central Market's Organic Decaf Coffee, which is good to simply satisfy that craving for the taste of coffee.

I haven't drank sodas since middle school, and I rely on water as my fuel and other natural beverages, so when Sam pointed out to me that he made it through the grueling months before and during finals without caffeine, I just had to post my excitement!!

For any of you addicted to that morning cup of joe or soda filled with caffeine, I just want you to know that it is possible to give that up.  Caffeine is an addiction like refined sugar (which is coming up in later post). There are many other great ways to start your day and fuel your body without caffeine like sparkling water with lemon or lime or both, La Croix, Zevia, naturally caffeine free tea (like Rooibos), and much more!  If you want to talk more about conquering caffeine, then feel free to send me an email and we can chat!

Congrats Sam!

With Love, Health, and Happiness,

Cami

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is where I need to start! I drink 2 cups of coffee every morning and then drink at least 2 pepsis throughout the day. If sam can get through law school without it, maybe I can get through nursing school!!
Elissa S

Cami said...

Definitely!! Sam adjusted his intake very gradually, and slowly but surely he is caffeine free!! (and let me tell you... he was ADDICTED!) It's totally possible :-)
Cami

A seeker said...

TeaSwan is a premium tea wholesaler offering a great selection of exotic premium Organic, loose leaf tea from Darjeeling, Assam, Nepal and China at bulk and for wholesale. As a wholesale loose leaf tea supplier, assure that our teas are obtained from various tea manufacturing regions of India, and unassuming to suit you and your customer's palate.

Post a Comment