Thursday, June 10, 2010

Beginner's Guide to a Plant-Based Diet & A Surprising/Inspiring Story

I wasn't planning on doing another post today, but I saw this article and just had to share it with you.  Fruits, veggies, greens, whole grains, and legumes are the perfect fuel for our bodies.  Many people are not getting enough of these essential foods, but by making simple day-to-day changes you can make it easy to incorporate more plant-based foods into your diet.  This article from MindBodyGreen provided such a great beginner's guide to a plant based diet that I just had to share it with you.  It's a little lengthy, but it has such great info, and it basically sums up a lot of information that you would find in books related to this topic.  Please check it out!  Plant-Based Diet for Beginners: How to Get Started


Rip Esselstyn ~ Author of The Engine 2 Diet

There are so many reasons why plant-based foods should be the staple of our diet, but I won't bore you with the science behind all of that (if you really want to know, check out some of my older posts for more scientific details).  But to sum it up, I want to tell you a quick story.  Well, actually it's one of my one of my Dad's stories.  Dad, I hope your okay with me sharing your story.  :-)

So, my Dad had the pleasure of golfing with Gary Player.  For those of you who don't know (because I didn't), Gary Player is one of the top 10 greatest golfers of all time.  When I mentioned his name to Sam, he freaked out... apparently he is a big deal.  He is now 75 years old, and according to my Dad, he has a ton of energy, is super healthy, and does something like 100 push ups or sit ups a day plus his usual work out (I can't remember the details.)  Well, over lunch, Mr. Player told stories about how he is able to be so active at age 75.  The answer:  He follows a plant-based diet!! No meat, No diary, No fish.  He says it is difficult to maintain on the road, and he had a shrimp during their lunch.  But that's okay!  It just goes to show you that you don't have to follow a plant-based diet perfectly to reap the rewards (Fish is my weakness, especially sushi.)  According to my Dad, Mr. Player raved about how healthy and energetic he feels, and he attributes it to eating plant-based foods and staying active.  

So, to sum it up... a plant-based diet can improve your overall health giving you more energy, stamina, happiness, and a longer life! Who doesn't want that?!  I'm not trying to convince you to be a vegetarian, vegan, or anything like that at all, but I just want to emphasize the important role that plant-based foods play in our overall health.  If you make one little change like adding an extra veggie to your plate or whole grains or even making veggies and whole grains your main course... then perfect!

Did you know that these celebs are vegetarian??


Back to CPA studying now...

With Love, Health, and Happiness,
Cami

0 comments:

Post a Comment