Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Let's Talk Exercise!

Good Morning!

Now that our bellies are full from all that food talk in my previous posts, let's talk exercise!  My first real love!
A morning funny for you! ... and so true.

But first, on a more serious note, I have to tell you a little story...

So this morning, I woke up (obviously), took my shots of acai and goji juice (1 tbsp of each, 2 superfoods that are a great way to wake up the mind and body! ), and went out on the patio with Major for a little bit.  I stood there in my leopard robe (Our balcony overlooks the exit to our apartment so I'm sure the people leaving for their morning commute saw me, but oh well. I should have waived to them as they were leaving.)  Okay, back to my story, I stood there and just kind of said a prayer thanking God for another day of health and wellness!   Then I just kind let my body and mind wake up for a little bit before coming inside to write to you.  It was a great start to the morning... it's going to be a good day!  I highly recommend taking those few minutes just for yourself before the craziness of the day begins.

Now back to exercise! Being healthy isn't just the result of eating right.  It's the result of the COMBINATION of eating right AND exercise.  Getting your body moving!

GOOD FOOD + PHYSICAL ACTIVITY  =  PURE HEALTH

Oh, and I have to tell you!  I went to the doctor yesterday for my knee.  He said I could start running for 5 minutes every other day for two weeks, and then increase it by 5 more minutes for the next week, and so on.  YAY! I was going crazy sitting around and not being able to work up a sweat.  So now that I'm slowly able to get back on the work out train, let's talk exercise! 

Does anyone watch Real Housewives? This is totally off topic, but I'm going somewhere with this I promise.  (Guys, you can skip this paragraph, unless you watch the show.) So I will admit, I watch Real Housewives of Orange County and New York because for some reason I find the crazy things they fight about oddly entertaining.  After every show, there is a follow-up show with Andy Cohen called "Watch What Happens," and he always does a little segment called, 3 Housewives Things I'm Obsessed With this Week.  So... I want to tell you the 3 Fitness Things I'm Obsessed with Right Now, so here we go!


3 Fitness Things I'm Obsessed with Right Now

1.  P90X
I know you have seen all the infomercials with the P90X success stories, and, let me tell you, it's a great combination of workouts.  Pink does it before tour! She talks about it on Oprah.  You have kenpo (like kickboxing), an intense power yoga, plyometrics, cardio, weight training... it's all there!   Before the wedding, I did a little bit of the P90X workouts.  But after the wedding, we ordered the DVDs, and I got serious about it.  I did the full 90 days and rewarded myself with some new workout shoes and clothes (another thing I'm obsessed with). 

If you go into the weight room and get overwhelmed because you don't know what you want to do, then this is perfect for you.  Or, if you don't have time to go to the gym and you have a set of dumbbells or a band, then you can do this at home.   If you stick to it, it really can change your entire physique and strength.  I do the yoga, kenpo, abs, X stretch, core synergistics, and cardio x in our living room in our apartment.  For the other work outs, I watch the video before and use the sheets that you can print off the website that have the exercises listed, and then I do the work out at the gym.  I like to do the plyometrics on this little grassy area of the trinity trail that overlooks the river...so fun!

Sam and I started P90X again 5 weeks ago, and Sam is still going strong.  I had to put it on hold because of my knee injury.  I miss the workouts!  They are so challenging and you can feel it in every muscle.  My two favorite workouts are yoga X and kenpo X.  Major also has a favorite workout too!  I'm telling you, Major has my genes (if that's possible), he loves to workout!... with his morning pushups and his love for YOGA!  Sam and Major did yoga together on Sunday...

Frog Pose Anyone?

Major's thinking: "Hmm... I can do a better downward dog."

Major:  "It's okay if my downward dog is better...I still love you."

Going into upward dog while Major observes 
and doesn't mind being in the way.  Major is in doggy heaven...loving it.  

2. Tone It Up

So I just discovered this blog yesterday, and their workouts and nutrition are so in line with my thoughts on health.  They even did a "What to order at Starbucks?" segment, like one of my old posts!  And this is one of their workouts that I love ~ Bikini Body Bootcamp Workout.  If I had the time and was not studying for the CPA, and if learning/talking to you about health was my full-time job, I would love to do something like this except with my own twist.  Girls...anyone up for it with me?!? 

Image from Tone It Up Blog

3.  Nightly Walks

Sam and I have been taking Major for a long walk about 30 minutes before we go to bed.  It has just been a great way to wind down and relax before bedtime.  I have never been a fan of eating dinner and then just sitting for the rest of the night afterward, I have to move around to settle the tummy.  So taking walks at night is easily becoming one of my favorite things.  So easy to do, no equipment required, and it's both relaxing and active at the same time! 





Well, time for me to go workout now!  In the spirit of exercise, I would like to leave you with some thought provoking (or simply funny) quotes.

"Physical fitness is not only one of the most important keys to a healthy body, it is the basis of dynamic and creative intellectual activity."
John F. Kennedy


"I really don't think I need buns of steel.  I'd be happy with buns of cinnamon."
Ellen DeGeneres


"There's no easy way out. If there were, I would have bought it. And believe me, it would be one of my favorite things!" 
Oprah Winfrey


"A man's health can be judged by which he takes two at a time - pills or stairs."
Joan Welsh

"Lack of activity destroys the good condition of every human being, while movement and methodical physical exercise save it and preserve it."
Plato

With Love, Health, and Happiness,
Cami

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Great post Cami! Since you shared yours, I will tell you the 3 healthy things I am obsessed with right now:

1. Making my own vegtable & fruit juices with my juicer... it is so much fun to do and you can mix and match the ingredients so the possibilities are endless!Another fun thing to do with the fruit juices is freeze them in ice cube trays or popsicle molds to have cold treats during the hot summer months

2. Walking the dogs... it started as really something more for them to get more exercise and meet new people but I really enjoy the time outside and of course the exercise for myself.

3. Learning about vitamins & supplements and all the different nutrients your body needs that it won't get on a normal day to day basis. Going to the health food store gets pretty overwhelming to me when I stare at the wall of vitamins so I'm trying to become more educated in that area.

Keep up the great posts! Have a great day!

Cami said...

Thanks so much for sharing your 3 things!!

Sam and I got a juicer after our wedding, and we were obsessed for a while. I want to get back into it, and that's such a great idea with the ice cube trays! I hate that it's such a process to clean!

Love walking the dog. We walked Major tonight, and he found a stick... like a kid in a candy store.

I totally know what you mean about being overwhelmed. I have been doing research on vitamins and supplements a lot since I became vegan, so if you have any questions let me know... I might know, but no promises! If not, then I can try to find out! Sunflower Shoppe in Fort Worth is like the Mecca of health foods stores, and the employees are SO HELPFUL when it comes to any questions about supplements or anything. I recommend going there if you are looking for a specific thing.

Thanks again for the comment!

Jennifer de Haro said...

1. Tone it UP! I saw their website on your blog & checked it out.. those girls are adorable! They just seem so real & relatable.

2. Fro Yo- It just sounds so amazing on a hot summer day. Yo on University is the best (my little, Jennifer Magers introduced me to it). FrogBerry under the Grand Marc is OK but not as fun.

3. Trying to find active things to do outside. On Sundays Cody & I have a tendency to sit around since we are tired from the weekend, but recently I have been trying to find other things to do. When he comes to visit Austin, the possibilities are endless; we canoe on Lake Austin, walk around South Congress area & visit the dog park (sans dog), plus there are a lot of bike trails & bike rental places.
I'm struggling with ideas in Fort Worth though! No bike rental places, not really a lake to run around/jump in since no one swims in the Trinity, hiking trials I looked up are about 30 min away.
Do you have anything you like to do outside? I'm open to ideas!

Cami said...

Jen, I love your 3 things!

1. The Tone It Up girls are amazing!! I'm obsessed officially. I did their ab circuit yesterday... WOW! It's a good one, I definitely recommend.

2. Have you been to Paciugo in the new 7th street area. It's gelato, and they even have soy gelato and sorbet, which is why Sam and I like it. It's delish.

3. You can rent bikes at Trinity Bicycles. Follow this link... http://trinitybicycles.com/home/?page_id=541

And Fort Worth Concerts in the Garden is going on right now, so that would be fun! http://www.fwsymphony.org/concerts/concerts-in-the-garden.asp

I totally agree with you about Fort Worth needing more outdoor activities. Sam and I are going to Austin in a couple weeks to stay at Lake Austin Spa Resort, and I am SO excited b/c they have so many outdoor activities everyday.

Let me know if you check out that bike rental place. I will keep you updated if I can think of any more fun things to do outside.

Post a Comment